Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Weekend catch up


If you have read my previous photo theme blog you will already know that Thursday was spent in town with Coralie and the boys and that I got myself a new coat.  We had gone into town on the bus as there were a few bits and bobs that we needed for our sewing.  I needed to get some wadding for my bag and some embroidery threads for something I am making for next Christmas!  There were also some bits that Denise had suggested we need to make our sewing experience easier.  EG. A tape measure!
I ended up spending a fortune.  I got the bits I needed plus some tailors chalk pencils, a tape measure, some dinky little scissor things, a pattern for a skirt and some lovely fabric which was half price.  
Once I actually get sewing on Tuesday I don't think my bags will take long to do. I needed to get organised for my next project and Denise has agreed that a skirt will be within my skills. (I’m not so sure)  The pattern is an Amy Butler pattern and has 3 different skirts and an apron on it. I am going to make the "A" line skirt.  The fabric is also Amy Butler fabric and I think it will make a nice summer skirt. It was reduced to half price.
Coralie also got some fabric and an Amy Butler patter for a sundress and sun top. Our plan is that we will swap patterns so I can make a dress or top after the skirt.  Sharing the patterns makes it a little more affordable. I couldn't believe the patterns were £9.50! I could buy a cheap summer skirt in Tesco for that! 
I have been trying to cut down and be a little more careful about my spending since Christmas and then I go into town for a couple of bits and end up spending over £140!  Remind me not to go into town with Coralie!!!  It's all her fault. We did have a nice time and the boys were both very good although Evan seemed to need to try out every toilet in the city centre!  The joys of toilet training!  He enjoyed the bus journey too.
On Friday I was at Coralie’s house in the morning as she had a hospital appointment.  The boys were both good.  I spent the afternoon doing house work chores and the evening doing some embroidery.  I have several projects under way at the moment.  I am hoping to make quite a few things for Christmas this year.  Only 334 days to go Wendy.  I hope you are getting organised.

MySpace-Countdowns

On Saturday we went out in the morning to get some new wellies for Simon as his are leaking.  We came home with some water proof, trainer type boots for him which were in the sale but no wellies as he couldn't find any that fit at a price he wanted to pay!  He is a size 6 but they were all too big.  A child’s size 5 proved too small.  He did try on some Hunter wellies in one shop which seemed to fit but they were £65.  I thought he should go for them as they are good quality and would last.
So he has the waterproof trainer boots which he will wear when he goes to the barn but still no wellies for the allotment.  I'm not sure what he will do about that but I don't think I'll go with him next time!  It was a bit of a saga.  What is it with men and shopping?
He went to his barn in the afternoon and I sat and did some sewing.  He made dinner when he came in which was enchiladas.  He had them at school last week and really like them so decided to make them himself.  They were very nice but kind of stodgy.  He used tortilla wraps and they were stuffed with what seemed to me to be a bolognese sauce!  They were covered in melted cheese.  Pam can you let me have a proper recipe please as I know you and your family make these.
Sunday was a slow day.  Simon finally got around to attaching the cyclometer thingy to my bike and we were planning on going for a short ride but it was freezing cold and I had a bit of a headache so we didn't bother in the end.  It’s a strange thing but when I woke in the morning I had a sort of flat lump on my forehead right in the middle.  Actually lump is the wrong word; it was a sort of patch of raised skin.  You could see it was red and hot.  It spread across most of my forehead throughout the day and looked a bit swollen.  The skin felt really tight and hot.  Weird!  I am guessing that it is an allergic reaction of some sort but to what I have no idea.  I haven’t used or done anything different.  It has gone down a lot today but you can still see it. I am hoping it will be gone soon.
Simon went to his barn in the afternoon and I made a banana cake and got on with my sewing. It was a nice relaxing day.  Simon cooked when he came in.  We had some salmon en croute which he had picked up the other day in Sainsbury’s because they were reduced.  They were pretty disgusting.  The pastry was ok but the salmon was the tiniest piece I have ever seen.  It was less than a centimetre thick and about 1 and a half inches by 2 inches.  In other word about 3 mouthfuls.  I am so disgusted with them that I have emailed Sainsbury’s head office to complain.  I don't really know why Simon got them anyway as I can make them and mine are really nice.  I guess he thought it would make a quick meal.  At least we had yummy banana cake for dessert!
I spent the evening doing more sewing and a bit of computing.  
Today was my day to look after the boys while Coralie sleeps after her night shift.  I woke up with what is clearly the beginning of a cold.  I am all sniffly and have a sore throat.  I feel grotty! By the time I got home I felt even grottier! Evan was a real little monkey today.  Not his normal well behaved self at all.  He kept pulling the puppy around, hit Flynn on the head with a book and really showed off about sweets when we went to the shops.  He did not get any sweets!  I am exhausted!
If you look closely at this photo of Evan or enlarge it you will see that there is a picture on the wall that says "Give up and go home"!
I have just peeled all the vegetables for dinner and I have a honey glazed ham joint in the oven.  Hopefully Simon will serve it up when he gets in. I don’t think I have the energy.  I hope that I have some energy this evening to get on with my embroidery.
I mentioned earlier about some things that I have on the go for Christmas. It is my plan this year to try and make things to give as gifts for birthday and Christmas presents.  I have so many projects that I want to do for myself as well as Christmas.  The sewing lessons have got me fired up with renewed enthusiasm for all kinds of crafts.  So I have decided that I will do a blog each week of the things I have made or am making.
I shall do it on Mondays and it will be called make, do, or mend.  Like the old war time saying of make do and mend!   
I am also going to be taking part in Chris’s new blogging jar which will take place on Thursdays.  I imagine most of you have seen this and will be doing it too.
So much to do and so little time!  Well I have got you all caught up on the last few days.  I will hopefully do the daily photo theme later this evening.

No comments:

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget