And so another Friday rolls around. 11/11/11......................Remembrance day. 93 years ago today the armistice was signed at 11am in a railway carriage in Compiegne Forest. It signalled the end of the great war, a victory for the allies and a defeat for Germany. A tremendous day. Have we learned the lessons from that long ago day and that terrible war? I can only wish that the answer was yes.
Many years ago we visited the actual memorial site in the forest. There is a replica carriage there. It is a very atmospheric place. Worth visiting if you ever get the chance. We visited during the summer on a warm sunny day. I would quite like to see it on a cold, foggy, November day.
A day such as we have here. Our weather has been horrid and grey all week. Today is no different. The mist just lingers the entire day. No wonder I am struggling to feel better. This is day 5 of the stupid virus that is making me so poorly. I feel marginally better today but I am now coughing and coughing so my throat is sore again. I am drinking honey and lemon by the bucketful.
Simon is at home today as he doesn't feel too good. I am hoping that he is not going to go down with the same virus. It was lucky for me that he was here as we had to get some paperwork in to the solicitor this morning and without Simon I would have had to drag myself there on the bus. As Simon was home he took me in the car.
The paperwork was the signed contract and transfer deed for our house. It really does look like it will happen this time. Contracts should be exchanged by the middle of the week. We shall see. I will be so relieved. I will let you know.
I have done nothing this week. Absolutely nothing. My house is a tip. I have a mountain of ironing waiting for me. A gazillion projects that I want to get on with but no energy yet. I have been keeping up with your blogs. I particularly liked Sue's grumpy old woman blogs. I have to say that I can identify with all her grumps.
One grump that I have had this week is with that whole fiasco over our football teams not being allowed to have the poppy symbol embroidered on their shirts. Who the hell comes up with this crap? So it is OK to have the logos of the likes of Carlsberg etc but not our Poppy. What complete and utter rubbish. Thank goodness it has been resolved although the solution of having the poppy on the arm bands is still making me very grumpy.
If it can be on the arm band why not the shirt? I believe the Spanish team have the UNICEF logo on their shirts? Where is the difference? I wish I knew who decided these things. Personally I would have said no way....... we are having them on our shirts..end of......... the match is not allowed to go ahead? Brilliant, maybe the little Hitler who decided it isn't allowed can tell all the footie fans that the match is off. Better still would be to just play the match anyway and sort it out later. After all, who exactly is going to be able to stop 26 men from running around a field chasing a ball if that is what they decided to do?
The whole thing was a disgrace and I for one am not entirely happy with the compromise that has been reached.
All that grumping has worn me out. I'm going to go and have a cup of coffee and a rest. Hope you all have a good weekend and wear your poppy with pride.
No comments:
Post a Comment