Monday, August 27, 2012

2 rants, carpet fitting and other stuff


I am sitting here trapped in my kitchen with 2 very distressed dogs shut in the utility room. Yes, the carpet fitters are here! It is absolute chaos. We had to move all the contents of the living room and the hall into the kitchen yesterday. This of course involved removing everything off the shelves. I did that during the day yesterday and we moved all the furniture last night. It was a bit of a job as Simon is not very well. He ate his dinner last night, moved the furniture and went to bed at 7pm. He has gone in to school today which I personally think is stupid. He will end up being ill next week when he is on holiday. Not to mention let's spread our germs around to everyone else.
That is a real bug bear of mine. If you are unwell, stay at home and keep your germs to yourself. Why go to work or go out socially and spread them around? So stupid and inconsiderate. I know some employers do not like people being off sick but wouldn't it be better to have one person off for a few days rather than the entire staff force off one after the other? STUPID!
Anyway, the furniture and stuff is all piled around the kitchen. It is bloody freezing in here as they keep going in and out of the front door and leaving it open. It's minus 2 here right now so COLD. I do not do COLD. Here is what the empty room looks like. You can see just how truly awful that flowery carpet was and how badly faded. Looks dirty and dusty but it wasn't, it was just faded in those parts.
When they are finished I shall show you what it looks like. I have no idea how long this will all take but they seem to be progressing well. All the old carpet is gone and the new carpet in the living room is down but I don't know if it is fixed yet. I can't see if they have done round the fire place yet either. I guess that the stairs will be the longest job and they haven't started on those yet except to remove the old carpet. I hate having men in my house. Once they are gone I am going to see if I can at least move the shelves back in place by myself as I can then set about putting all the stuff back. I won't be able to move the sofas.
So what is new around here? Well it is still very cold, not getting above freezing during the day and about minus 5 at night. The weather forecast is actually saying that we will have more snow late this afternoon and on through the night. It shows snow for Sunday too. I don't think it is supposed to be as much this time. We still have snow laying on the ground. It has melted around the house but not the garden. It is very hard crunchy snow and the dogs are having trouble walking on it. It will be a nightmare if fresh stuff comes down on top of it. Alfie slipped the other day and fell quite badly on his side. Not good with his dodgy hips but he seems OK.
The last couple of days have been busy as usual. Normal housework as always plus some sewing. I had 2 trips out in the car. The first on Tuesday was a quick trip down to Bourne to go to Sainsbury's. I also went into the doctors to pick up the forms to register.
Yesterday I went to Peterborough to pick up Coralie and we went to the Art and Stitch shop. (Check it out here). I love it there. I have been wanting to go for ages and Coralie said they had a sale on except of course they didn't yesterday! I did get some great fabric though and spent lots of money. I got 2 and a half metres of fabric, 6 fat quarters, a Moda charm pack and some black felt. If Simon asks I 'll just say that Coralie gave it to me from her stash! Actually he never minds what I spend money on. He knows I'm not frivolous.
I got fabric in blue shades to make a couple of quilted throws to protect the new furniture when it comes. I did make a start on the cutting yesterday when I got back but I didn't get very far as I had to get started on dinner. Sometimes it is such a pain to have to stop and prepare dinner! I shall show you what I got and what I'm doing with it on Monday.
On the way home from Art and Stitch, which by the way is a round trip of over 50 miles, I stopped in at the doctors and dropped off our registration forms. They insist that you have to have an appointment to see the doctor. I asked why this was necessary as I am not ill. Apparently it is so he or she can get to know you and find out your medical history. What a waste of time. They can't possibly get to know me in ten minutes and my entire medical history will be sent to them from our previous doctor.
It just annoys me that they are always telling us how busy they are and how over worked, patients are always complaining that they can't get an appointment for days and when they do the doctor rushes them, so why on earth waste my time and theirs when I am perfectly fine? Give that time to someone who is ill for goodness sake.
Anyway she insisted that I make appointments so I did. Simon will be going in tomorrow and as he needs to have his B12 injection next week he doesn't really have a choice as she said they won't do that until he has been in. I made my appointment for 3 weeks time and I shall just phone up and cancel it when the time comes. I doubt that they will remember to contact me about it but if they do, well I can keep cancelling!
I do not like doctors and am convinced that you can go in perfectly well and come out sick! For a start you have to sit in the waiting room with all those people full of goodness only knows what germs. Why would I want to do that? Not to mention that if you are not very careful they will find something wrong with you! I have first hand experience of this, remember the chronic kidney disease saga. There was nothing wrong with me! All that worry for nothing.
As I hate the doctor I tend to suffer from what they refer to as “white coat” syndrome. In other words I walk In the door and my blood pressure soars through the roof. I do not have high blood pressure. When I am at home and happy it is fine. We have checked this out numerous times. My doctor would take it in his surgery and it would be high, then an hour later I would get Coralie to do it and it would be fine. I just know that any new doctor is going to say, oh you have high blood pressure!
As far as I am concerned, when I am sick I will go see them and hopefully they can give me something to make me better. That is what they are there for. I see absolutely no reason to go and make their acquaintance before this time. There, that was my 2nd rant of the day.
It is so feckin cold in here my fingers are beginning to seize up! I can't wait for them to be finished and gone. There is much banging going on upstairs now. They have been here an hour so far. Time to do them another cup of coffee. They are liking my home made cake too! The younger guy said he hadn't had home made cake in years!
Just took the coffee and more cake through to them and they haven't done anything on the stairs yet. The hall down here has been roughly cut but not finished, the living room may be done but has extra pieces laying in there so it is hard to see.
Back later.

No comments:

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget