Monday, August 27, 2012

Show and tell time on Tuesday


It's a while since I did Show and Tell.  I haven't got as much done as I would like but I have been doing things.

I made a dress and sun hat for Jessica.  I am really pleased with how they came out as the bodice of the dress is lined and I have never done that before.  I did it all on my own too without help from Denise.  I am also really pleased as the entire thing apart from the zip is made from "reclaimed" fabric.  The dress is made from the dress my sister wore when she was my bridesmaid!  It has hung in a wardrobe at my Dad's house for the last 33 years.  He gave it to me recently.  I think there is still enough fabric to make a skirt for Ellie.  The lining was from an old sheet!  I did have to buy a zip as I didn't have one small enough.

Here is my sister wearing it. She is the big one in the middle!

I have made a Monster Ninni which I shall give to Jess. I found the pattern on the internet and it is very simple but makes use of scraps.

I made this bag.  It was a ready cut out kit that came with the Cath Kidston book Sew.  I got the book recently and there are several projects in there that I want to have a go at.

I have 2 projects that I am currently working on.  One is a small wall hanging which is a Christmas present for someone.  I am using scraps of fabric from the last quilt that I made. If you can remember who that was for then you will know who will get this wall hanging at Christmas!!  I am quite pleased with it.  Denise and Coralie are also making one so we are working on them together.  

It should have been finished this week but because Coralie was in hospital sewing was cancelled.  The stippling, which is the free hand machine embroidery along the edges, I found very difficult.  It is supposed to be random but I wanted a more uniform random effect if that makes any sense!!  I had to unpick it and it took hours.  

I also have on the go a jeans quilt. My friend Kathy sent me a link to a pattern for this. You make each square individually and they are already quilted so you then just join them all together.   That didn't seem to make sense........ They are made out of 6 inch squares cut from old jeans.  You then cut a shape from the denim square.  Mine are hearts although the pattern shows stars.  You then make a quilt sandwich with a backing, some wadding, a layer of fabric and then the top square of denim with it's cut out shape.  You zig zag around your shape.  Once you have enough of them you simply join them all together.  The denim seams will fray to give a shabby chic look.  At least that is the theory!

I think I will need about 150 and so far I have done 44 so it is an ongoing project. I have run out of jeans at the moment so I am at a standstill.   I am using old T shirts for the backing squares.  The pattern doesn't have a layer of wadding but I wanted that for extra softness.   The fabrics which make the hearts are just scraps.  It is turning in to a memory quilt as I have used a scrap from everything that I have made so far.  I also have scraps cut from some blouses of my Mum's and some shirts of my Dad's. Plus one that was cut from an old favourite tunic of mine that it was finally time to get rid of.

When I went to Leicester  a few weeks ago with Coralie and Denise I got lots of lovely fabrics.  I have some to do a Christmas table runner and some to do  a quilt for a Christmas present. I am hoping that if I get all my house work done this morning then I can begin cutting the fabric for the quilt.  I have a new blade for my rotary cutter so it should be an easier task than the last lot I cut.

I must find a new source of blades as Hobbycraft cost a fortune.  Ishall look on Ebay.  I also want to find somewhere that I can buy a suction handle for my rulers.  I have seen them at the Cotton Patch but they are pricey.  They help to hold the ruler steady and hopefully to prevent accidents.  Having already nearly taken off my finger I am understandably wary!There is a new cutting system available but that is very expensive.  

I was looking the other day at a die cutting machine called a Sizzix Big Shot. That cuts lots of lovely shapes just by turning a handle.  I am tempted but it is nearly £100.  There are some on Ebay for about £50.  Just not sure how useful it would be.  I do know you have to pay for each die separately.  You can use them to cut card too which would be good for card making and scrap booking.   Anyone ever used one of these?

Ok, time to go do some more jobs so that hopefully I can get on with sewing this afternoon.

No comments:

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget