Monday, August 27, 2012

Olympic torch comes to Bourne.

Well it has been another grotty day weather wise.  It has rained all day.  It was raining when I got up, raining while I was out and it has poured this afternoon. Guess what?  Now at 8pm in the evening the sun is shining!  At least it wasn't cold.  

The rain nearly put me off from going out this morning but I really did want to see the Olympic torch.  It came through Bourne which is 5 miles down the road from us where Sam and Lisa live.  I had to be up early as the only way to do it was to leave with Simon so he could drop me off as he drove through.  I couldn't do it by bus as they were closing the road at 7.45am.  Didn't fancy cycling in the rain.

So Simon dropped me in Bourne at 7,30am.  There were already quite a lot of people around and a lot of traffic.  My plan was to sit in Salisbury's cafe and have breakfast and coffee.  The torch wasn't due until nine.  Unfortunately I hadn't realised that the cafe does not open when the shop does!  

So I rang Lisa.  I knew she would be going as the route went right past Ellie's school.  As it turned out Sam had a day off too so I ended up going with them and  little Jess.  Sam had taken a days holiday so that he could go to Ellie's first ever sports day and guess what?  It was cancelled because of the rain.

I'm glad I made the effort to go as it was really nice and the atmosphere was great.  We got a place opposite Ellie's school and when they fetched the reception class out Ellie ended up just opposite us on the other side of the road.  It was lovely to see her waving her flag.  Jessica had a flag too but she was happier poking hers around in a puddle.
There were various street entertainers before the torch barer came through.  

Lots of police which Jess liked as she likes motorbikes. 

Then came the torch which went past in a flash and as I was holding Jess at the time my photos didn't turn out great.

.
Really oddly the torch was followed by 2 BMR racing cars.  Bourne is the home of BMR.  Or is it BRM?  Who knows!  Sam liked them anyway.  

All in all a good morning.  Click photos to enlarge.  Note the rain and the very un- summer like clothing!

No comments:

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget