Monday, August 27, 2012

Show and Tell on Tuesday


"Mondays Make do or mend" time...........or in other words "Show and Tell". That is actually a much better name so I hereby officially rename these blogs.  Out with Monday Make do or mend and in with Show and Tell!. Who remembers show and tell from their school days?
So what have I been doing the last 2 weeks? Well first of all there was a valentines card for Simon. It has a “token” tucked inside the heart.
I haven't started on curtains yet as I am still waiting on the arrival of the furniture to choose colours. Nor have I started on a quilt for Saskia as she said she wants burnt orange and burgundy and although I have had a look around I thought it would be better to let her actually choose the fabrics herself.
When I went to the Art and Stitch shop with Coralie a few weeks back you will probably remember that I got all that lovely fabric. I have been busy cutting and sewing ever since. I have got the patchwork top finished now. It is a throw to protect the new sofas when they come.
Here are some of the fabrics.
I have learnt how to chain piece which is much quicker. You zoom along feeding each square into the machine one after the other without stopping. When you are done you just snip them apart! Here is a pile all joined up.
I saw this design online somewhere. You start with 4½ inch squares and attach a 2½ inch rectangle to the top of each one.
Next you attach a 6½ piece to one side giving you a 6 inch square.
2 squares are sewn together.
Then another 2 squares to make one large square. The small squares were arranged in different ways so that I ended up with 2 different versions of that big square.
They are then all sewn together to form the pattern. It has a 2 inch border of spots and then a 3 inch border of bright blue flowery fabric. I am really pleased with how it is looking. I need to get some fabric for the backing now. I had intended to use a sheet but when I opened it out it is too thin in the middle.
As it will now have to wait to be finished I have started to try and use up the scraps to make a smaller quilt. One of the new sofa's has a chaise longue where I just know the dogs are going to sit so I thought a quilted pad about 25 x 25 might work well. So far I have come up with this as a centrepiece but it needs to be a whole lot bigger and I don't know how I am going to do that yet as some of the scraps aren't that big.
I am going to work on it this afternoon. I also want to do some more work on my seasons squares. Off to get some coffee now.

No comments:

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget