Monday, August 27, 2012

I'm here!


Good heavens, I have not written a blog for nearly a month! Just seen my last one was the 8th of July. I have been trying to keep up with everyone else and leaving comments here and there but there just hasn't been time to do my own.

It has been busy here as it always is.  I shall have to try to think what I have been doing. Obviously since my last blog, the schools have broken up and Simon is now on his 6 week break. He was hoping for good weather so that he could make progress on his garage extension.  As I think most of you know the weather has not played ball.  It has been an absolutely terrible summer here.  Rain, rain and more rain.  We did have one good week last week but it has since gone back to grey skies and chilly temps.  Not nice at all. 

However the week of good weather and dodging the showers has allowed him to make some progress and the digging is now done and the hardcore layer is nearly complete. I think it has something else to go in and then the concrete. He has done this totally on his own!

He did have an afternoon off last week and we went out for lunch and a walk along the nearby River Glenn.  We also explored around some churchyards to see if we could locate any more Glenn graves but we didn't.


On the first Sunday of the school holidays we had a family picnic at Peakirk wildfowl trust park.  Many years ago this was a bird refuge but it was closed down about 15 years ago and has been derelict for the last 10.  However it is possible to get in and it is a really lovely place for a picnic despite the fact that technically I guess we were trespassing!  We had great weather and my sister came along with my Dad and her husband.  Verity and Steve were not able to come as Ellie had chicken pox.

Last week we had the boys for a sleepover on Saturday as Coralie hasn't been too well. We took them for a picnic to the Yew Tree Walk.  I have posted photos of there before.It is the place with all the odd topiary yew trees.  The boys had a great time and enjoyed climbing inside the trees.


On the Sunday we took them up to my Dads as we were having a family get together so that we could finally bury Mums ashes in the garden. It was a good occasion with all of the family there including my Dads 3 sisters.  Sadly it was another occasion missed by Verity and Steve as they are currently on holiday in France.

My Dad has got a small water feature that Mum would have loved and my sister and Pete have made a lovely flower bed around it.  Mums ashes have been buried beneath the water feature. It was a bit sad but my own feeling was that she is finally home. She loved her house and garden and would never have left there.  It was devastating all those years ago when she had to go into the hospital.  Now she has returned.  I believe she will be happy and at peace there.  Dad is happy as he can look out of his windows and see her. 

Miss you Mum. XX

Sunday evening I had a nasty sore throat.  When I woke up on Monday morning I had a really rotten cold.  I have felt like crap ever since.  Today it is marginally better but I have now started to cough.  Why is it that a cold virus so often leaves you with a nasty cough? I don't want to talk because I start coughing and can't stop.

Yesterday was Coralie's 30th birthday and we took her and the boys out for lunch.  I think she was pleased with her Accuquilt Go Baby machine that we got for her.  She is having a party on Saturday evening and I am looking forward to that as the whole family will be there. Just hope I feel better by then.

Before I felt so crap, I had been keeping myself busy with lots of sewing.  I have a gazillion projects on the go. We went to Leicester a few weeks ago to visit Saskia's new house. While we were there I just had to visit the fabric Guild for some more fabric.  I spent loads but got lots of good stuff including a bargain pack of goodies for £5.  I was amazed at what was in there.  Lots of lovely fabric scraps and trimmings and beads etc. 

I won't bore you now with details of what I have been working on.  I'll keep that for a separate blog!  Right, I guess it is time to stop now as it is nearly midnight! I'll try to get back soon.

No comments:

floating social media sharing buttons

Get widget